Sunday, August 26, 2007

Rectal Prolapse?

This is definitely gross...so if you don't want to know what is medically happening with Ellie, don't read...

On Friday, Ellie told me she had to go to the potty...I put her on the potty like I normally do, she went poopoo, like she normally does (except I noticed she pushed a little harder than usual). I began to wipe her, and noticed that I wasn't getting it all. I looked down and there was lots of red tissue coming from her bottom. Of course I panicked! I called the doctor's office, and they said the earliest they could get me in was 3:50, which didn't seem like soon enough considering that I had her down on the floor and it was all still hanging there. Anyway, it finally went back inside, so I took the 3:50 appointment.

As soon as the nurse came to get us, Ellie told me she was done, and that she was ready to go home (apparently this visit came too soon after her two year check up). Dr. Bennett told me it happens because of constipation (Ellie already has a high fiber diet, so it kind of surprised me). Anyway, he gave her stool softeners and I was told to give her more fiber.

It has been frustrating, because now every time she has a BM (diarrhea), it comes out. If we can't get it under control the only other option is surgery. So, please pray that this isn't the case.

Here is a medical article.

No comments: