Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Light at the End of the Tunnel

Did you know that I graduated high school nine years ago? College has been a long drawn out process. Here's the run down...
  • Entered college as a Sophomore.
  • I got a scholarship to Dixie.
  • I lost it the next year.
  • I still went to Dixie.
  • I wanted to go into Communication. I loved my Public Speaking class.
  • I took a bunch of classes, just because I could.
  • I graduated with my Associate of Science.
  • I went to UVSC.
  • I wanted to work in PR.
  • Then I wanted to be a paralegal.
  • Then I wanted to work with criminals.
  • I didn't really know what I wanted to be when I grew up, and I took a plethora of classes.
  • Met Dan.
  • Took a semester off (dating is hard work!!).
  • Married him.
  • Moved to Logan.
  • Took a semester off, Dan was working on gettting his GED so he could be accepted to USU.
  • Started at USU, and was told I could graduate in undergraduate courses.
  • I studied Journalism, but hated interviewing people.
  • Thought I wanted to be an English teacher.
  • My ego got prego.
  • Decided I didn't want to be an English teacher.
  • Had Ellie.
  • Moved back home.
  • Started back at UVSC when Ellie was six months.
  • Decided to go into education.
  • Took the pre-requisites.
  • I was accepted into the program without interviews (I just had really good grades, or they were just desperate for teachers...).
  • I started going full time last year.
  • I've done two field experiences: one in fifth, and one in third.
  • Just yesterday I finished my Student Teaching in first grade...YAY!!
  • I have two more night classes (and a lot of crap to turn in).
  • I graduate May 1st with a 3.7....HOORAY!!

I'm so grateful for my family and friends that have helped so much during school. I wouldn't have been able to finish if it wasn't for Grandma GiGi, mom, dad, Ben and Debra taking Ellie for me. I owe them all big time!! With a teacher's salary maybe I could buy you all a pencil? :)

21 comments:

carrie said...

Go Katy! That is so awesome! Your college background sounds kinda like mine, except for the good grades part, and I still have two more years before I will have my teaching degree (when I go back that is)well, basically it's not he same, other than the length and switching to several schools! Great job though! P.S. I would like a white pencil with orange polka dots, thanks!

Celeste-Jill said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only person who takes the better part of a decade to get through college.

Jenni said...

Congrats! Sounds a lot like my journey! I'm finally going back to school this May (if all works out w/ financial aid).

The White's said...

that is so awesome!! congrat i think you will be a great teacher and im very proud of you!! and Whoa your DONE!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

yea for graduation! you are probably sooo excited. congrats!

Trent and Carlie & Co. said...

Congrats!! I'm sure it is so nice to have student teaching out of the way!! You are so much closer to the end! Hopefully the time will fly for you!

Janice and Jessica said...

Katy,

Congratulations!!! I think you have done an awesome job. I'm 45 (almost 46) and I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up. I have taken a plethora of classes as well that don't amount to anything but have finally applied for student aid for the fall semester and I'm going to finally give it a shot, if all works out.
Like I read one time, if I keep harping about getting older and going back to school, I'm going to get older anyway, I may as well do it with a degree.

Thank you for letting me blogstalk.
Janice

V said...

CoNgRaT's KaTy.

Katie L. said...

You are Superwoman!!! Way to go, it is all worth it in the end!

jeffandtoripack said...

Do you know where you will be teaching yet for next year?

Leilini W. Kinikini said...

At least you got a college background! ummm yeah.

Lily said...

Congrats. Your a hard worker.

Katy said...

Tori, I don't know anything yet. Nebo School District currently has a hiring freeze...I'm waiting to see if they lift it soon.

Jacque said...

That is soooo awesome. I just started school at Idaho State University. I am going into Secondary Ed. English as my major. You have just given me motivation that I can do it. I have been second guessing myself for a long time. I'm not sure if I can pull off a 3.7 like you. That is so awesome!!! Congrats!

Susan said...

Way to go Katy-O

Wilkinson Family said...

YAY!!! It is so nice when you can finally see all the hard work paying off! Hopefully the hiring freeze is lifted soon too!

Amanda said...

Congrats! It must feel amazing to finally be done!

Marla said...

Oh you are so almost done! YEA!!

Ashley Garbe Smith said...

Oh my gosh. As I was reading your bullets, I was nodding my head as we have had such SIMILAR experiences (with the exception that after one semester of student teaching, I realized I couldn't be a teacher and changed my major again). It is so amazing that you are finally graduating - Especially with a 4 year old daughter. Most people just give up, but I think it's so admirable that you've stuck with it. Who cares how long it took - the result is still the same. You made it through college and you will finally get your degree!!! Congratulations! It's a HUGE accomplishment!

Wendi said...

Congratulations!!

Danielle said...

Yeah, so exciting!!! You are awesome!