Sunday, February 7, 2010

And The Moral of the Story is (Rhys' birth story)....

Friday night I went to dinner with some friends to a yummy place called Terra Mia. I had been having some tightness and cramping before hand, but nothing that wasn't manageable (I just chalked them up to braxton hicks). I remembered contractions with Ellie were really painful (but I was induced)!!

Anyway, I picked Meagan up at her house, and explained the contractions and everything, but told her I wasn't too worried. We got to Terra Mia, ordered our food, and we all had a really good time visiting with each other.

As the evening was winding down, Meagan suggested (yes, this is all her fault!!) we play a prank on Dan. He was worried about me going to dinner, but figured I knew more about contractions than he did. So, Meagan preyed on his worrying, called him, and said I was in the bathroom because I couldn't decide if my water had broken or if I had peed my pants. Dan said he'd keep the phone by him, called my mom to come over to watch Ellie, and was getting ready to meet us at the hospital.

I told Meagan to call him back and see what name was on the calendar for February 5th, she did. He then asked her if she was kidding, and Meagan could no longer carry on, and admitted she was teasing. He laughed it off, and continued doing what he was doing at home.

Meanwhile at the restaurant (lapsed time is about 10-15 minutes), we had stood up to leave. I started having another annoying contraction, and sat down. Not even kidding, the minute I sat down my water broke. Mind you it wasn't a trickle (probably would have been had we not pranked Dan), by the time I got to the hospital it looked as though I had jumped into a pool.

I was so mortified about leaving the restaurant, that I sat there, dumbfounded. Becky asked for a towel. Amber offered to spill water on me, Angie got the car, and Lacey had to reassure Dan that my water REALLY did break. During all of this, I was laughing so hard...seriously, what are the chances!!? Each time I laughed, more water gushed out, and every time I had a contraction MORE gushed. Then I started getting nervous thinking a waiter would walk by our table and slip in the amniotic fluid...it was AWFUL!!

Finally, I got up the nerve to stand up, and yep...even more, apparently I was packing a large aquarium in my uterus. I only had to get past a couple of tables, so the friends created a human shield, and as soon as the door was opened, I made a mad dash to the car.

Meagan drove me to the hospital, and in perfect timing, Lacey sent me a picture of the now infamous table with a "slippery when wet" sign next to it. Apparently when they told the owner (the very handsome owner who I might have a small crush on) what had happened, he had said to tell me congratulations. Once I got the picture, it gave me the giggles, and Meagan and I laughed the whole way to the hospital.

Once we got there (and after Meagan documented Niagra Falls with a picture), the contractions were a little more intense. Meagan got me a wheelchair and wheeled me up to the third floor, and waited with me until Dan got there. I owe her big time, but I'm doubting she will ever go out to eat with me again!!

Dan arrived between 8:30-8:40. I was busy telling the nurses the story, and seeing him and listening to him tell his side got me laughing again. After all the excitement had leveled, I started to feel some pretty intense contractions. I asked the nurse if I could labor in the tub...I was going to do my best to have this baby natural. She said that was fine, but she needed to check me, and get me hooked up to the IV.

She checked me, and was shocked. She assumed with the way I was carrying on a conversation that I was no more dilated than four centimeters...I was 8 1/2. She sent a nurse to get the on call doctor who was just about to begin a C-section. Not even five minutes later, I was ready to push...the doctor finally walked in, and after two pushes Rhys was born. :) He made his grand appearance at 8:58 pm. We figured we were done before Meagan even made it home.

Rhys had some minor complications: low blood sugar, he had ingested some meconium, and his breathing was wheezy. He spent the first two hours in the nursery getting tests done...poor thing had purple heels by the end of his first night.

Anyway, he is doing really well now (besides his boy parts...ugh). Ellie adores him, and so far he seems to be a pretty mellow kid. We're glad he's here.

20 comments:

Katie L. said...

That is the BEST story! He is such a cutie! Congrats!

Meagan said...

Lol. Just reading that again made me laugh. That was quite the experience, I tell you. Aren't you glad Dan made it? Seriously, if he hadn't hurried he would have missed it! That is so crazy.

I am glad you got to have him natural, though. You are tough!

Oh, and I hate to say it, but I was right. You should have been more cooperative when I tried to time your contractions. I KNEW they were too close.

But, I'm glad all that happened. It sure makes a great story. And don't worry, I'll still go out to eat with you. But only if I get to hold him!

Jodie Davis said...

Congrats! That is a great story. Water breaking in public, that only happens in the movies or so we thought. With my first my water broke at the ball park I was totally embarassed and without my husband. He is very cute, I bet Ellie will me the best big sister!

The White's said...

That is one awesome awesome story! I love it! and you are SO strong wow to be at a 8.5 and laughing. I think this is great and Im so excited to meet him, he looks perfect. I would call you but my phone does not work so I will call you tonight when Cameron is home. O i love you and im so proud!!!

V said...

Congrats you guys! I have not yet experienced the breaking of water in public, all of mine broke at home. What a fun story though. Glad all is well.

Anonymous said...

That is awesome! And it would only happen to you. And probably me too... Congrats! Post some pics! Now!

Chels's Blog said...

I love the story and I wish I could have made it. I am so excited for you and are glad you are boyh doing well. He is adorable!

Melodie Anne said...

Congrats! That's awesome and disgusting. Of all the bodily fluids I think amniotic might be the one that freaks me out the most.

Best wishes on not ruining this kid with your questionable parenting tactics!

The Gulls said...

wow what a story!! congrats you guys. He sure is a cutie.

TiffanyHarrison said...

This is an awesome story, I love it! Congrats and I hope all is well. I can't wait to see pics of both your baby and the flood from dinner:^)

Jenni said...

What a fun birth story! Congrats!

Leilini W. Kinikini said...

Wow talk about ENTERTAINMENT! He's going to love to hear that one over and over again!!!

Big props to Meagan...I nominate her to be the GOD-MOTHER! LOL!

I'm glad you got there safely, and that you and him are healthy and doing well!

I'll be by soon to see the beautiful new addition...after you get settled that is! (don't worry I know how it is) =)

Love you guys!

Congratulations again!

Kim and Preston said...

That is such an awesome story! That is so so so funny! I am glad he is here safe. Love you Katy.

Courtney said...

Wow, I really did miss everything. This would so only happen to you. But I am glad things went well, and congrats on the new little one, he is so cute!

Ondriawfd said...

THat has got to be one of the best labor stories I have ever heard. Thanks for the laugh and I'm glad everything went so smoothly.

julie! said...

I LOVE your birth story! That is so awesome Katy! and holy crap, that is totally out of the movies! Way to go! I am so impressed.
Congrats on the beautiful new baby! He is adorable!

Marci said...

I could never laugh at a story like that if happened to me. But thanks for letting me laugh at you. I hope this little guy keeps you laughing.

Danielle said...

Oh my heck Katy-I can not stop laughing! You are amazing-what a great birth story:)
PS-there is a girl out here that totally reminds me of you-miss you!

carrie said...

This story kills me Katy, hilarious! Congrats, he is such a cutie. I love his hair! When was your due date? I didn't realize we were so close either! I'm excited for our boys to meet some day.

camille said...

huge congrats and seriously, one of the best "going into labor" stories I have heard in a long time.