Sunday, February 8, 2009

Six More Weeks...

First grade, what a trip!!

So, last week my teacher asked me who the new student of the month should be...It was an easy decision for me. There is this little boy in my class that is so speedy and quiet, and he does whatever I say, and did I mention he is sweet. So, of course I picked him!!

Not even TWO days later, a parent of another student in our class emailed my cooperating teacher...apparently the student of the month (that I picked) had been beating up her little boy at recess. Can I pick 'em or what!!?

More 1st grade antics:

During morning meeting we have a current events segment, a couple went down like this:

Alison: Two planes crashed into these buildings in New York.

(kids are gasping, and hands shoot up in the air)

Me: Alison, when did this happen?

Alison: Before I was born.

Me: So, would you say it was a current event?

Alison: No, I guess not.

Me: Yeah, it isn't.

Another meeting...

Easton: You can't buy guns anymore.

Jaxon: My dad hunts, he's going to be mad.

Christian: Why not?

Easton: (shrugs)

Alison: What channel was your dad watching? My dad is a hunter, and if he saw that on the news, he'd be pretty mad, and believe me I would have heard about it at breakfast this morning. So, I'm going to go home and ask him about it, and I'll get back to you tomorrow.

Me: I haven't hear anything about not being able to buy guns either, but I'll definitely be watching the news to see if I hear anything...(guess I should watch Faux News).

We also have an abundance of kidnapping, fire, and accident stories (one kid told us that his mother got in a wreck with one of the teachers...I can't wait to hear more!!).

3 comments:

Susan said...

Wonder what stories Ellie will tell once she starts to school?

Trent and Carlie & Co. said...

I loved teaching first grade! It sure was tiring, but eventful! I think most of my funny stories come from that first year of teaching. Cute little storytellers & potty mouths!

I had one little girl who brought her binoculars for show & tell, and I had set the stapler down and couldn't find it. So, I put her in charge of finding the stapler to get her out of my hair for a few minutes. She came back after searching, and said, "Teacher, I don't know where the hell it is." I fought back the laughter and tried to tell her we shouldn't use that word at school. I might have told you this story already, but that was the first thing I thought of when I read your morning meeting comments.

Good luck with your last 6 weeks!

Ash said...

Oh my gosh, that is hilarious! That Allison girl sounds like a character. Although I'm not sure I'd actually want to spend too much time with her... I'm glad that it's you and not me. I might get to the point of wanting to punch kids in the head or something... Good thing I didn't choose teaching as my profession...