Sunday, September 21, 2008

Fair Weather Tofu Eaters...

A couple of months ago Dan had confided in me that he felt like he was eating too much meat. He would stop by Gandolfo's for breakfast, have a meatful lunch, and then he would come home to a meal yet again prepared with meat.

I told him I would start making some vegetarian meals. I've always liked tofu at restaurants (especially PF Changs). Well tonight I actually made tofu (well, the first time making it correctly anyway...). Dan loves curry, and is always talking about how good it is in England. Since we will not be making a trip any time soon, I researched some recipes on line.

Low and behold, I found one...it was super easy to make.

Now how did it taste you ask?

BLECH!!

Ellie thought it was some icky chicken (I had to tell her it was something other than tofu, she had already told me she wasn't a fan).

Dan was chowing down, and I was thinking to myself, "He actually likes it...YAY!!" Then I took a bite...now it wasn't awful, but tofu really tastes like nothing. I don't like that it is jiggly. I think PF Changs must fry it first (anyone?) to get that chewy texture. Anyhow, I was having a hard time finishing it.

Dan noticed that I stopped...

Dan: You don't like it?

me: Not really.

Dan: Good, that means I don't have to finish it!!

me: I thought you liked it.

Dan: No, I was just trying to be a good husband. Next time will you put chicken in it?

me: Yeah, sure, whatever...

Tomorrow is the last day for this. I even got it to the actual sign up page...I know, I'm a good friend, you can thank me later...

8 comments:

carrie said...

I've never tried Tofu and now I never will, Thanks!

Katy said...

Sorry Carrie!!

I'm still going to keep trying recipes. My family is going to like tofu, and that is all there is to it!! I just need some help from tofu experts...

Leilini W. Kinikini said...

10 points for DAN for being a great husband!

I have never tried tofu, but hey I'm up for anything...but I'm not sure I'll like, what can I say I am a true carnivor, I need mah MEAT!

Kristyn said...

Cute apron! And I heard tofu takes on whatever flvors you cook it with. Good luck. I think it sucks. Oh! I just remembered there was a recipe by Alton Brown on food network for a choc silk pie that used silken tofu as one of the ingredients and it's one of his fav recipes. I've been meaning to try making it. Let me know if you do. But that's not a meal. Unless you're me. And, what did you get for your bday? I'm thinking a plane. :) He owes you right? Just kidding.

Katy said...

Dinner? Please, my dinner tonight was straight up cookies. I'd welcome chocolate silk pie anytime!! :)

Danielle said...

Dan... what a funny guy!

Bethany said...

Yuck. I have yet to try any tofu that is good. Dan is awesome for faking it!

Anonymous said...

Too funny - I had some in a soup once that wasn't too bad.