Sunday, June 22, 2008

Doctor Visit and Walgreens

Friday night I started panicking because some of Ellie's bumps had become quite large. They still had white heads but you could feel that around them (about the size of a half dollar) were really hard. I called to make an appointment first thing in the morning on Saturday.

When we got there Ellie was bee-bopping around...she had NO idea what was in store!! The doctor said that we would need to drain the infections. I had to hold her down on the examination table, poor Ellie screamed and kicked. It seriously broke my heart. The doctor had to drain four of them. I had Ellie's pants in my hand, and she was trying so hard to get them so she could put them on and go home. I never watched Dan drain his, but he was right...the infection did come out like toothpaste...ICK!!

When the doctor was done, I picked Ellie up, and she just laid her head on my shoulder and cried. She told me to never do that again, and then she said, "that was awful". I agreed.

So, now comes my jerk moment...

Ellie and I went to Walgreens to fill her prescriptions, while we were waiting, I let Ellie push around the cart. I had told her she could pick out some treats. So, as we were walking up one aisle. I heard a lady behind me speaking very loud, and she was slurring her words. I thought, "Great, this lady is totally sloshed, and she is following us!!". I finally understood a little of what she said, she was talking about Ellie, and how cute she was pushing the shopping cart around. I turned back and talked to her for a little bit, then we went down another aisle, and the same lady was there again. She told me that Ellie was beautiful, and asked her name...anyone that knows Ellie knows she won't talk to strangers, it takes all I have to get her to talk to people we actually know!! She said her name, and I couldn't understand what she said, so I repeated what I thought I heard...she corrected me, and said her name was Angela. Then she apologized, and told me that she had been in a horrible car accident that killed her husband, and she was in a coma for a long time. I felt awful, I had judged her according to the way she talked, and I thought she was totally loopy. I told her that I was glad she had made it, and was here. She then told me that I was beautiful, and told me to keep smiling, because if I'm a beautiful person, my daughter would be too.

Anyway, I just realized that everyone has a story, and instead of judging them without even knowing them, you should hear them out.

Oh, and I witnessed a car accident on the way home, an old lady ran a stop sign, she hit into this big guy and his small truck. The lady wasn't going that fast, the truck was, and the guy in the truck got out and was fuming, then when the cops got there he started acting injured (I think he threw out his back when he was throwing his temper tantrum). So they sent the ambulance...there is no doubt in my mind that this man will sue the old lady.

Oh, and look...my quote for the day goes with my post!! "I am free of all prejudices, I hate everyone equally." W.C. Fields

10 comments:

Meagan said...

I hope she is feeling better! Treats always make it better, right?

Fords said...

That is awful - I can't imagine how she felt, but I'm sure that you felt even worse. Seeing your kids in pain is the worst experience ever.

Your story at Walgreen's brought a little tear to my eye - teaching school has taught me that there are so many stories and backgrounds that make people who they are.

Jenni said...

Aww poor girl! I always cry when Rem gets his shots so I can only imagine what you were feeling.

I'm also so quick to judge people. Its so sad that its so common to do.

kellyanddanielle said...

wow what a trouoper. i can't emagina having one of my kids go through that. i hope she starts feeling better soon. i try hard not to judge because i know how it feels to be judged at first glance. love you.

Ondriawfd said...

OUCH!!! That's awful. Hopefully it all goes away and you don't have to do that again. Makes my legs hurt just to think about it.

camille said...

ok, that was a bit of an emotional rollercoaster of a post. My heart was aching and I was on the verge of tears as I read how you had to hold her little body down and how she was screaming. Then the gal at the drugstore, what wonderful things she said to you. and then your quote at the end,,, ROFL.

so needless to say,I was just on a rollercoaster for 2.3 minutes, lol.

Katie L. said...

I am so sorry! I hope that she is feeling better and same with Dan. We go to Valdez too and I really like him as our doctor!

TiffanyHarrison said...

I hope your little Ellie starts feeling better. Your doctors visit sounded awful. I loved your story about your trip to the store. I think we all at one time or another judge people to quickly, so that was a great reminder that we never know what people are truely going through...so thanks Katy for church 101 for day!!:^)

Katy said...

I guess we could call it church 101 from the most unlikely source!! :P

Marla said...

Oh poor baby!! That sounds so painful!