Thursday, June 19, 2008

Our Staff has Staph (graphic post)

It all started last week when Dan slid into a base while playing softball...this happened last Tuesday, he re-opened his wound the next night playing softball again. On Friday, we noticed he had a large "zit-like" bump on his knee. I said it was infected, my Mom said it was bug bites, and Dan's cousin said it was probably pressure sores from his band-aid. Guess who should be a doctor? ME!!

Anyway, Dan noticed that he was getting more sores, and one of his sores was getting bigger. We are a popping family, and so of course, Dan popped it. On Monday, he explained that the pus came out like toothpaste (graphic visual...so sorry). I made him go to instacare on Tuesday. The doctor told Dan he was pretty sure it was staph, but he really didn't do anything, but take a biopsy, and the results were supposed to be back today (still haven't heard from him).

Well today, I noticed Ellie had "zit-like" bumps on the back of her leg, so I decided to call the pediatrician. Dan wasn't going to come with us, but decided last minute that he should come. We got there, I explained to the doctor that Dan was diagnosed with staph. Dr. Valdez looked at Ellie's legs confirmed it was staph, he then looked at Dan's knee and was shocked. Dan had a huge boil on his leg, filled with pus. He was surprised the other doctor didn't drain it. So guess what we got to do? Ellie and I watched while the doctor drained Dan's leg. Dan said it was the most painful thing he has ever done. Dr. Valdez said he popped several pus pockets, and he took another biopsy. He then stuck a whole wad (not even kidding) of sterilized gauze in the hole in Dan's leg.

We felt bad, we didn't take Dan to have Dr. Valdez take care of him, but he seemed to be really excited about it in some sick doctor way. I bet he hasn't been able to work on a boil since his residency. Dan really liked him a lot, he wants to see if Dr. Valdez will be his doctor...I wonder if he would take him, Dan is kind of like a big kid!!

I'll take a picture of it when he gets home...it is painful to look at...OUCH!!
*I should also say that I was terrified of it spreading to those that I've been hanging out with the past week or so, but the doctor said not to worry about it. I know little to nothing about staph, but I guess don't stress.

12 comments:

Tyler said...

No way... I can't believe that Ellie has it, too! I am so sorry. Did they put you all on meds? I am not surprised about the other doc not draining his knee... that is sort of what I've learned to expect from the instacares (unfortunately).

Fords said...

My nephew had staph and he was REALLY sick with it! I am sorry that they both have to go through that - I hope they get feeling better soon.

Katy said...

They are both fine. Dan's leg only really hurts because they drained it. I'm hoping we caught Ellie's soon enough that they won't have to drain hers...EESH!!

Aaron said...

Sounds like a fun doctor visit. Dr Valdez is a pretty cool doctor. He treated my ear infection. I hope dan and ellie get better.

kellyanddanielle said...

oh wow. that is pretty discusting. you are such a wonderful writer. you should write a book. very visual and graphic. :) hope everything goes very well for you. staph is really scary if not taken care of. love you guys.

The Gulls said...

That boil is sick!!! I cant believe they have staph infection. We've dealt with patients who have had staph. Its a pretty serious thing if it get really bad. They've come in with drip lines and everything. i hope you guys get better soon. So sorry

camille said...

holy crap,,, I think I am going to go throw up now! lol

I think Dan should try and switch docs,,, that would be pretty funny. maybe he will get a sucker after each visit too. lol lol lol

Jay and Ang said...

wow, that's nasty. Glad everyone got taken care of.

TiffanyHarrison said...

I'm just glad that you went in and found out that it was something serious! I have to basically drag Scott to the doctor whenever he needs to go, which could have been horrible in this situation!! Good Luck! :^)

Danielle said...

Dang... That is not fun at all. Hope Dan and Ellie heal up quickly.

Marla said...

Oh that looks painful!! My sister had Staph after a surgery. It took several months to get rid of it.

Lisa said...

Yuck.... I think that is disgusting but I hope both are doing ok. I always hated taking my kids to the doctor even to get them shots, I felt like I was purposely hurting them.