Saturday, May 31, 2008

Hogle Zoo

In our attempt to be fun parents, Dan and I decided to take Ellie to the zoo. Our family is far from being early birds, but we actually got out of the house before noon (really it is quite the accomplishment!!).

Ellie had a pretty good time, the zoo was pretty crowded, I'm sure a lot of it had to do with school finally being out for the summer.
Ellie's favorite animal was the giraffe, she said it was massive (only with a "th"). Hogle Zoo had a brand new baby giraffe, I think Ellie was expecting to be a lot smaller!!


Dan and I fancied the gorillas, they were both napping, but one was curled up in a blanket. Also in the small animal and reptile exhibit there were some cotton tail or cotton haired monkey-type animal, they were really cute too. When we were holding Ellie up to see them, one came right down and stared at her.

While waiting for the train, Ellie and a bunch of other kids played with the big, black, water ball. Ellie loved the train ride, but while on the train ride, she spotted the playground.


If Dan and I are going to be honest, Ellie loved the playground the most!! Which actually makes going all the way to the zoo a waste of money!! While Ellie was on the playground, it was obvious she needed to go potty, as you can see pictured below. We got to her just in time!!
Dan decided that he needed to take a picture of Ellie and me, because I am usually the one behind the scenes. We are showing off our colorful tongues (we just finished our snow cones).

It has been over two years since we took Ellie to the zoo. The last time we went, baby Accara, the orangutan was about ten months old...the same as Ellie. She was the cutest thing ever, we were excited to compare them again.
As for my critique of the zoo...it makes me sad, some of those big animals look SO depressed!! Ellie would ask why all the animals were sleeping, and I would tell her it was because they had been running around in their small cages...:( Dan told me I need to quit being such a tree hugger...whatever that means!!

We dropped Dan off to see the Real game, and before we even left Salt Lake...Ellie was out!! I brought her upstairs to take a bath, she got upset, laid down on the floor, and was out again!!

13 comments:

The Gulls said...

it looks like you guys had fun. I cant wait to take corbin up to the zoo this summer

Katy said...

We need to get a group of us together and go...I think it would be a lot more fun!! Dan and I decided to go on a whim, especially since he was going to a game up there anyway.

Lynsey said...

Thanks for coming to visit! :P It looks like sooooooooo much fun!! We're taking our monster in July.

Tyler said...

Oh, I'm sad we weren't able to join you! It looks like you had so much fun... no fair! I'm glad you had a good time, though. We'll plan something when we get back from Mexico, for sure!

Lisa said...

Wow she must of had one heck of a day. I bet the ride home was super quiet..

Debra said...

I seriously thought the pictures of Ellie and the big black water ball were actually Ellie and a big black Hippo! Glad you clarified. :P

I'm so happy that you guys had fun!

Jenni said...

Yay you guys made it to the zoo! I hope you enjoyed it as much as we did. Rem loved looking at the different animals.

Katie L. said...

I always get so excited to take my kids to the zoo and then I leave feeling sad because like you I think the animals do not look happy! I've been to other zoos and I think that Hogle has too small of cages...but the kids love to see the animals so I guess it doesn't matter to us, right?!?! You guys look like you had a lot of fun!

Susan said...

Remember whenever it was Stake Conference we'd go to the zoo. Whenever we did that I'd thow-up! Wonder why?

Danielle said...

Looks like you guys had tons of fun! We are going to be going to the zoo with Hailey sometime this month too.

TiffanyHarrison said...

I just went to the zoo with my oldest son Corbin's kindergarten class and I have to agree that for the most part the animals just lay there and they look miserable. And this was the first year that as we rode the train, which when he was younger he loved, he actually said, "that's it?....well thats dumb!" So I guess when they are younger they love it, and I was sad that he is passing that point!! Your little Ellie is so darling, so says the cutest little things. She must be close to turning 3 right? Anyways she is darling!!

Nicole said...

You guys are such a cute family! The Zoo is always so much fun! I love your family pictures, whoever did them did a really good job.

camille said...

ahhhh, I want to go to the zoo with you guys!!!!!! I love giraffs too!

oh, and I totally love her little piggy tails! I can't wait to do those with BEL. and the picture of you and Ellie, hilariously cute!